Jan 11, 2013
Top 10 Indoor Exercise Ideas for Winter
1. Jumping Jacks are a nice way to warm up for a good workout. If you're in good shape, do about 50 straight jumping jacks. If you're not in the best of shape, start slow. Maybe 20 or less. Break your jumping jacks down into sets if necessary.
2. Workout at home. Start a home workout regimen consisting of exercises like leg squats, push-ups, crunches, and leg raises. Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions. You can add additional exercises, reps or sets, as your exercise tolerance increases.
3. Exercise DVD's like Billy Blank's Tae Bo series can help give your body a total workout. The Tae Bo workout combines strength training, cardio, and kickboxing. You can purchase Tae Bo DVD's at Sports Authority or on websites like Amazon.com. The best thing about exercise DVD's is that you can workout around your own schedule.
4. Give Pilates a try. You can buy a number of different pilates workout DVD's from Amazon.com. Consider the Pilates workout by Denise Austin as a possible option.
5. Martial Arts is a great way to add flexibility and dexterity. Consider tai chi, kickboxing, and taekwondo as possible options. If you don't practice martial arts, you may be able to get lessons at your gym, local YMCA or from a private instructor.
6. Dance to the music. Dancing is great cardio exercise, and henceforth a great way to burn calories. Put your favorite tunes on, and dance the night away. If you're not much of a dancer, try salsa lessons, or another style of dance that has your interest.
7. Play a Game. Try the Wii Fit or the Wii Fit Plus. The Wii Fit is designed to help you get fit using aerobic and strength training. You can play a friendly game of twister with family and friends. Twister requires you to bend and stretch your body into a number of difficult positions.
8. Walk your home stairs. If you have stairs in your home, walk them often. If you don't have stairs in your home, you can stay active by walking throughout your house. It may seem silly, but the more your body stays in motion, the easier it is to burn calories.
9. Clean up. Cleaning up your home involves a good deal of physical labor. Sweeping, mopping, and dusting burns fat. If you want to add more "burn" to your cleaning, increase the speed of your movements.
10. Yoga is a great way to get in shape physically and spiritually. If you aren't familiar with Yoga you may purchase books and DVD's from websites like Amazon.com. Consider taking a Yoga class with a private instructor.