Check with your doctor. Lifting weights will not only help you lose weight, but maintain the loss. Here's why:
- Muscle keeps your metabolism revved up, burning calories, fat, and glucose (sugar).
- When you lose weight, up to 25% of the loss may come from muscle, resulting in a slower metabolism. Weightlifting will help preserve or rebuild any muscle you lose by dieting
- Muscle helps you with aerobic exercise. The stronger you are, the better you will be at any aerobic activity.
- Weight training improves your body's muscle-to-fat ratio (you end up with less body fat and more muscle), which improves both your health and your fitness level.
- Gaining muscle will help you look better as you define and tone your physique.